Writing, Reading, and Smiling . . . It's Contagious.


Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Apple Pie Is in the Oven


As we celebrate our independence on this hot, humid Sunday, I think of the many people who risked their homes and their lives to seize the right to be free of tyranny. I'm grateful to all of our soldiers at home and abroad, remembering the sacrifices of my grandfather and great-uncles in WWII and my own father during the Vietnam War.

I think of my own carefree childhood and recall water-gun fights and pop-drinking contests. If I listen closely, I can hear the hum of mosquitoes as I stand on my great-uncle's porch and watch a blaze of fireworks bombard the night sky. I taste potato salad and see cakes decorated as flags. I smell coconut pie in my grandmother's kitchen and hear my grandfather's soft voice as he tells tales of fighting in the Pacific.

I remember all of these things and more. Yes, the apple pie is in the oven and everything is good.


***

As always, I love to hear from you.
If you’re in the cyber-neighborhood, drop me a line.

In the meantime, keep writing, reading, and smiling.
It’s contagious.
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment