Writing, Reading, and Smiling . . . It's Contagious.


Sunday, July 12, 2009

E. Michaels Discusses The Mysterious House

Hello, all. I'm so glad you could join us today. This Sunday I have a special guest, E. Michaels, the author of the new children's mystery: The Mysterious House.

***

Hi, this is E. Michaels of Sunflower Footsteps. I have published my first children's mystery, The Mysterious House, the first book in the Fox Mystery Series. The story is about three neighborhood kids that are in the fifth grade. They soon discover that a seemingly ordinary abandoned house becomes the center of a mystery. They become involved in the mystery and soon learn that they need to make some decisions about how far their involvement must go.

The following is an excerpt from the book:




“Oh, no!” whispered Sheila. “Someone is coming inside.”
The moonlit shadow advanced. In the shadow’s hand was a large flashlight. It flashed over the barn before it fastened on the trap door handle on the floor. The barn door slammed shut and once again the inside of the barn lay in darkness. The sole light came from the flashlight outlining the trap door. As the figure neared the trap door where Jimmy lay hidden, Sheila’s fingers gripped Mary’s shoulder. Mary, hiding the terror she felt, put a reassuring hand over Sheila’s and gave it a squeeze. Mary’s teeth were tightly shut, and her jaws ached as the scream rising in her throat was swallowed. Her thoughts were of Jimmy, trapped in the underground space, who was soon to be exposed by this figure with the light.


The Mysterious House was written to entertain my two school-aged children several decades ago. After rewriting and adding several scenes it has become a story of which I am proud to say I have written.

This is an entertaining story for eight to ten-year-old children. If you are a parent and you care about what your child reads, this would be a good book to encourage them to read.

I am currently working on a book for younger children. It is a story with activities and pictures to color. This should be completed within the next two months, and then I will begin work on my next story about the first day of school. Both of these books, entitled Turtles and Shells and Things and Little Duck Gets Ready for School, are from my Feel Good Series which inspire self-confidence in younger children.

To learn more about The Mysterious House, Turtles and Shells and Things, Little Duck Gets Ready for School, and other titles, visit Sunflower Footsteps at www.sunflowerfootsteps.com.

***

Thanks, Michaels, for taking the time to be with us today to discuss The Mysterious House. We're looking forward to more of your work and wish you the best of luck in your endeavor.

Join me next Sunday for What Size Shoe Does a Sunflower Wear? where I will discuss Sunflower Footsteps and its impact on publishing, writing, and my life.

As always, I love to hear from you. If you're in the cyber-neighbourhood, drop me a line. In the meantime, keep writing, reading, and smiling. It's contagious.

0 comments:

Post a Comment